Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Koi Stone




This morning Steve and I did what people in the Yahoo ponding group suggested we do. We netted Red Guy and checked his perpetually-open mouth. Sure enough, we found this stone lodged in there!

While I held Red Guy firmly, Steve managed to pull out the stone. Mind you, Red Guy is about 7 or 8 inches long (if you don't count his amazingly gorgeous butterfly fins). As you can see, this stone is no pebble. (That's a quarter next to it.)

We were both so happy that this procedure went well. It was relatively easy and quick, and obviously successful. I feel like a bad koi mommy, though, for having taken so long to figure out what the heck was going on with this fish, but in my defense, this is something I had never heard of in my 12+ years of ponding!

Many thanks to Barry for the net and Bill for the long tweezers!

0 comments: